Mission and Objectives
The Society’s Mission is:
- to celebrate, recognise, preserve, protect and encourage excellence in all of the scholarly disciplines, and in the professions, industry and commerce, the arts and public service;
- to promote the advancement of learning and scholarship and the dissemination and application of the results of academic enquiry and research; and
- to act as a source of independent and expert scholarly advice and comment on matters affecting the wellbeing of Wales and its people and to advance public discussion and interaction on matters of national and international importance.
Its Objectives are:
- to promote the academic excellence and achievements of Wales and to disseminate Welsh research and scholarship in the United Kingdom and internationally;
- to engage the public’s interest in, and understanding and appreciation of, science, technology and medicine, and the arts, humanities and social sciences in Wales;
- to foster partnerships and links between academia and other sectors of society, including industry and commerce, the professions, the arts, public service, and schools and colleges, thereby promoting the health of intellectual life in Wales;
- to support research and innovation in Wales, in higher education and more widely, to stimulate the development of new research areas, including applied, multi-disciplinary and inter-sectoral research, and to aid the commercialisation of research-driven, innovative ideas;
- to work with and support Welsh higher education and other relevant sectors in these tasks;
- to provide a representative and independent voice for all of the scholarly disciplines and to provide an independent forum for informed debate on all scientific, social and cultural subjects;
- to facilitate engagement between policy-makers in Wales and well-informed practitioners in a variety of fields, and to offer assistance, where appropriate, in the formation of national policy, by acting as an expert, impartial and independent source of scholarly enquiry, evidence, advice and comment;
- to enable Wales to participate at the highest level in the international world of learning and scholarship, and to promote the academic excellence and achievements of Wales to the wider world; and
- to establish and maintain links with comparable academies in the United Kingdom and overseas.