VACANCY – CHIEF EXECUTIVE
Highly regarded as an authoritative, independent, and credible voice in Welsh public life, the Learned Society of Wales (LSW) is Wales’s national academy. A Royal Charter Charity with nearly 500 Fellows, the Society brings together some of the most successful and talented people connected with Wales from all branches of learning and scholarship. Since its establishment in 2010, it has been dedicated to promoting the importance of scholarship and research and their contribution to the scientific, cultural, social, environmental and economic benefit of Wales.
The Society is seeking a dynamic Chief Executive with an understanding of Higher Education and Welsh society with the ability to help maximise the Society’s impact and deliver the Society’s ambitions for growth and sustainability. The successful candidate will replace Professor Peter Halligan upon his appointment as Chief Scientific Adviser to the Welsh Government.
The Chief Executive will:
- be accountable to the Council, and lead a team of 5 employees delivering the Society’s mission to celebrate scholarship and serve the nation, and implement the decisions of the Council;
- assist the Council to set the future direction of the Society;
- assist in maximising LSW’s impact and relevance, through the development of an innovative programme of research, publications and events that foster public debate and contribute to policy improvement and creation;
- work with the Council, to ensure effective engagement with people and organisations –communicating, collaborating and partnering, and building capability;
- work with the Council to ensure delivery of results – including the sustainability of the organisation and delivering value through the effective deployment of the Society’s resources;
- be accountable for the organisation’s financial and organisational performance, and will be expected to develop the Society’s financial standing through proactive fundraising and the development of diverse income streams;
- be an able communicator with a high level of political awareness and a commercial mindset;
- sustain a network of key stakeholders across academia, industry, political communities and other areas of Welsh life;
- be a highly credible ambassador and champion of the Society, educated to at least degree level, with an excellent understanding of educational, economic, social, political and cultural issues and be experienced at engaging with high-level stakeholders, dealing with the media and public speaking;
- be an effective manager of the Society’s staff.
An attractive and competitive starting salary which will be subject to negotiation.
This is a full-time position, for 3 years but with scope for extension.
For further details and to apply go to www.learnedsociety.wales/jobs or contact 02920 376954
Closing date: 14 March 2018
Interviews: 11 April 2018